Year after year, millions of tourists around the world travel to Greece. Here are some suggestions by Takis Baboulas about where to TRAVEL in Greece
For my friends living outside of Greece, especially those who have never come here before, I just wanted to write my suggestions of places, among the hundreds of beautiful choices all over.
It is almost impossible to see everything in Greece in a lifetime, even for the people living there.
So, after all these years of travelling, I have suggestions for you, depending on the time you have. If someone is to come to Greece for the first time ever, I would suggest at least two weeks, knowing that this is not possible for most people, at the worst case if you only have a week, do it, it will surely be a great experience but you will have to miss many places and you will be in a “hurry” to enjoy things. In that case, you can just pick Athens and one island on “relax mode”.
My suggestion is to try to make it a 2 week trip so, in case you do don’t come again, at least you will have a more spherical image/opinion and you will have enjoyed a great variety of places.
My suggestions below contain a variety of islands and a few days in Athens for sure:
1. ATHENS CITY (many things to do, like any other European capital, which here includes THE BEACH!)
2. NAFPLIO CITY (the very first capitol of Greece, just awesome, only about 2 hrs drive from Athens)
2. SANTORINI ISLAND (no words for this one, a must see)
3. SKIATHOS ISLAND (Paradise on earth…/ if you have time, combine it with SKOPELOS island next door)
4. PAROS ISLAND (Voted best island in Europe a few times) + combine with NAXOS island next door if possible.
5. KEFALLONIA ISLAND (one of my favorites, try to combine with ZAKYNTHOS island next door)
The above is a lot for one trip (some people wont have time for all), but if you have more time, and you don’t mind travelling around, or making a second trip to Greece next year, I will also strongly suggest these:
6. RHODES ISLAND
7. THESSALONIKI CITY (NORTH) (AND HALKIDIKI BEACHES)
8. CRETE (you normally need about a month to see everything there… my first choice is the city of Hania and the state)