Greek Style Kabob (Keftedes)
There are many variations in making keftedes (Κεφτέδες) but here are the mostly used basic ingredients and directions for grilling or frying. Proportions are to your likes and as you see it (με το μάτι). Generally, for one pound of ground beef, you will need one medium/large red onion, a couple of slices of Greek/French bread or croutons, one egg, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Ground beef, pork or lamb
- Red onion – chopped/minced
- Garlic – chopped/minced
- Breadcrumbs – preferably country bread
- Egg(s) – beaten
- Parsley, fresh, chopped
- Spearmint, fresh, chopped (optional)
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients, knead well and make patties.
- For grilling, just brush some EVOO mixed with lemon, oregano and coarse pepper, and place on the grill.
- For frying, dredge in flour and fry in EVOO.