This is one of the Greek traditional salad dishes.
Steps to Make It:
Wash the leaves and the beets gently not to break their skin. Wash very well in cold water making sure there is no specks of sand/soil.
Cut the stem at the base of beets and cut the stems/leaves in 2 or three pieces (image 2).
Place in a pot of cold water to cover (image 3).
Bring to a boil and cook until firm but cooked, about 50 minutes to one hour.
Yiayia’s suggestion for best taste (and if time permits), allow them to cool in their own cooking water allowing the beets to soak the flavors and nutrients.
Drain the beets, cool under running cold water, remove skin with fingers, and slice.
Ingredients needed (beets and the dressing):
- A bunch of fresh red beets (image1)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsp good quality red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Dash sea salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- Fresh lemon
Use the dressing ingredients to your taste and likes. Combine beets and dressing in a bowl and toss. Can be served or refrigerated cold.
Add lemon to serve!